Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Books on Wildlife Behavior


There a gazillion books on the techniques of photographing wildlife but this, in itself, won't necessarily make you a good wildlife photographer. Dave Shumway emphasizes that to be a successful wildlife photographer, you must understand how these animals behave. He was raised by a father who imbued him with some of this knowledge.

As a native Montanan, I know some basic information about our own wild animals but I really should have a better understanding. I have searched for books to help me. A few years ago, I found two: Wildlife Watcher's Handbook 




These are older books published in the late 1990s but still have worthwhile information.

Recently I went searching again to see if there were more recent publications and found this book: Behavior of North American Animals

                            Look Inside


It was published just a year a go and I purchased it last month. I have only been able to read a little but it seems amazingly thorough. It got rave reviews from the readers who took the time to write. 

If your goal is to photograph wildlife, these books may be a worthwhile investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment